Colorectal surgery is a field of medicine, dealing with disorders of the rectum, anus, and colon. The field is also known as proctology, but the latter term is now used infrequently within medicine and is most often employed to identify practices relating to the anus and rectum in particular. Doctors specializing in this field of medicine are called colorectal surgeons or proctologists. Bhatia hospital is one of the best colorectal surgery hospitals in Mumbai.
Colorectal surgical disorders include:
- Varicosities or swelling, and inflammation of veins in the rectum and anus (Hemorrhoids)
- Unnatural cracks or tears in the anus (Anal fissures)
- Abnormal connections or passageways between the rectum or another anorectal area to the skin surface (Fistulas)
- Severe constipation conditions
- Fecal incontinence
- Protrusion of the walls of the rectum through the anus (Rectal prolapse)
- Birth defects such as the imperforate anus
- Treatment of severe colic disorders, such as Crohn's disease
- Cancer of the colon and rectum (Colorectal cancer)
- Repositioning of the rectal area if fallen out.
- Anal cancer (rare)
- Any injuries to the anus
- Removal of objects inserted into anus
Surgical treatments and diagnostic procedures conducted in the hospital are:
- Colectomy: Colectomy is a surgical procedure to remove all or part of the colon.
- Polypectomy: Colonic polypectomy is the removal of colorectal polyps in order to prevent them from turning cancerous.
- Strictureplasty: Strictureplasty is a surgical procedure performed to alleviate bowel narrowing due to scar tissue that has built up in the intestinal wall from inflammatory bowel conditions such as Crohn's disease.
- Hemorrhoidectomy: Hemorrhoidectomy is surgery to remove internal or external hemorrhoids that are extensive or severe.
- Anoplasty: Surgery involves closing any small tube-like openings (fistulas), creating an anal opening, and putting the rectal pouch into the anal opening. This is called an anoplasty.
- Diagnostic procedures like Colonoscopy, proctoscopy, defecating proctography, sigmoidoscopy