Gastroenterology is a branch of medicine which deals with the study of the gastrointestinal tract like esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, rectum, and anus along with the accessary organs of digestion like liver, gall bladder and pancreas. A doctor who treats disorders of these organs is called as gastroenterologist. Bhatia Hospital is one of the best Gastroenterology hospital in Mumbai with a panel of best gastroenterologist doctors.
Esophagus is a food pipe which connects the mouth to the stomach.
Common disorders of the esophagus are given below:
- Heartburn: due to acidic reflux of stomach into esophagus
- Esophagitis: inflammation of esophagus
- Achalasia: lower sphincter does not relax properly
- Esophageal cancer: uncommon type of cancer
- Esophageal varices: veins become engorged
- Barrett’s esophagus: change in the structure of lower esophagus due to recurrent reflux
The stomach is a sac like organ located in upper left part of abdomen. The stomach secrets acids and enzymes which help in the digestion of food.
Common stomach disordersare given below:
- Gastro esophageal reflux: frequent reflux of stomach into esophagus
- Gastritis: inflammation of stomach
- Dyspepsia: stomach upset or indigestion
- Gastric ulcer: erosion in lining of stomach with pain or bleeding
- Stomach cancer: Gastric cancer
- Gastroparesis: delayed emptying of gastric content into intestine
The longest part of alimentary tract is the small intestine which has 3 parts: duodenum, jejunum and ileum.The large intestine has 4 parts: caecum, colon, rectum and anal canal.
Common disorders of the small and large intestinesare given below:
- Intestinal obstruction: a part of intestine which becomes blocked and stop working
- Inflammatory bowel disease: also known as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)- abdominal pain along with discomfort, cramping, diarrhea and constipation
- Intussusception: one part of the intestine collapse into another part, mostly occurs in children
- Diverticulitis: abdominal pain and constipation along with inflamed diverticuli
- Tumors: different benign and cancerous growth in intestines
The rectum and anus are the last stop of digestive tract where digestion ends and wastage gets excreted out of the body.
Common disorders of rectum and anus are given below:
- Hemorrhoids: internal hemorrhoids and external hemorrhoids
- Proctitis: inflammation of rectum and anus
- Anal warts: warts due to HPV infection
- Fistula: abnormal path between anus and other area of body
- Fissure: a tear or lining in anus
- Rectal prolapse: prolapse of rectum into anus or external part
Other accessary organs which help in digestion are the liver, gall bladder and pancreas and many others.
Common disorders of accessary organs are given below:
- Cirrhosis of liver
- Cholecystitis and cholelithiasis
- Fatty liver
- Cancer or tumor in pancreas, liver or gall bladder