Andrology is the branch of medicine which deals with the study of male sexual dysfunction and male infertility. Andros is a Greek word which means pertaining to male. The doctor who treats male infertility and sexual dysfunction is known as an Andrologist. The expert team at Bhatia Hospital treats male infertility and erectile dysfunction efficiently in andrology department and is known as one of the best Andrology hospitals in Mumbai. Sperm isolation is done in azoospermic male partner in test tube baby (IVF) procedure.
Following conditions are treated under Andrology department:
- Impotency: Impotency is also known as erectile dysfunction. It is a type of sexual dysfunction characterized by inability to develop or maintain penile erection. It can be due to psychological factor due to stress or due to impaired nerve supply or compromised blood supply. More than half of the cases can be treated with proper counselling and medication, otherwise penile implant surgery can be carried out if required.
- Infertility: Infertility is inability to produce children. Male infertility can be due to:
- Oligospermia - number of sperm is less in semen
- Azoospermia - no sperm in semen
- Low motility of sperm
- Diabetic Sexual Problem: Diabetic patients develop commonly erectile dysfunction, retrograde ejaculation or Peyronie’s disease. These problems can be treated medically and surgically.
- Premature ejaculation: It is uncontrolled ejaculation shortly after sexual penetration resulting in unsatisfactory sex.
- Andropause: It is low production of testosterone in ageing male, requires hormone therapy to tackle it.
There are various surgical procedures required in Andrology to treat the conditions, some common procedures are as below
- Circumcision: It is removal of the foreskin from the head of penis. It is a common ancient practice in few religions.
- Intra penile injection and penile implant for erectile dysfunction.
- Penile lengthening: Enlarging the length of penis surgically.
- Penis biopsy: A diagnostic surgical procedure for evaluating lesion in penis.
- Vasectomy: It is a male sterilization surgical procedure. Vasectomy reversal can also be done surgically if desired.
- Varicocelectomy: Microsurgical ligation of Varicocoele for low motility of sperm.
- Microsurgical procedures for obstruction: Vaso-Epididymal Anastomosis, Vaso-Vaso Anastomosis or Endoscopic de-roofing of a cystic obstruction of ejaculatory duct.